Thank you for choosing Millworks Flooring
Primera Luxury Vinyl Plank. Properly installed and cared for, your new
flooring will be easy to maintain and will keep its great look for years.
All areas where flooring will be installed must have a working heat and air conditioning source operational a minimum of
forty-eight (48) hours prior to installation and remain in operation during and after installation. Conditions should be at
the same temperature and humidity level expected during normal use (between 65-85 degrees F with a relative
humidity no greater than 65%). Ensure subfloor and flooring are fully acclimated to these conditions for a minimum of
48 hours prior to installation. For best results, open the cartons at the beginning of the acclimation period.
Improper acclimation of Primera may result in gapping, buckling or joints which are difficult to properly engage.
Improper locking of the flooring may cause joints to be distressed resulting in a “peaked” appearance, delamination due
to ledging, separation of joints from normal environmental temperature changes, cupping or side joint failures.
cannot be held responsible for site conditions that do not conform to requirements as indicated in
these instructions including but exclusive to vapor transmission, moisture permeation, contaminated or damaged
Floating vinyl floors should be protected from direct sunlight and not exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods of
time. Excessive temperatures will cause the product to expand and buckle. Millworks recommends blinds, drapes,
window films or suitable window coverings in areas where there is a large exposure to direct sunlight.
It is the installer’s responsibility to examine the flooring prior to installation for color, finish, sheen and quality, and to
ensure that jobsite and subfloor meet the requirements of these instructions. Ensure adequate lighting for proper
inspection. If flooring is not deemed acceptable, contact your supplier immediately for resolution. Millworks Flooring
cannot be held responsible for flooring installed with visible defects.
Warning: If the existing resilient flooring covering is being removed, see current edition of the Resilient Floor
Covering Institute publications recommended work practices for removal of resilient floor coverings for instructions
on removing all resilient floor covering structures.
All subfloors must be clean, smooth and level to within 1/8” in 10 ft., and dry. Dust, scale, and loose particles must be
removed. The surface must be free of solvents, paint, grease, oil, wax, alkali, sealing or curing compounds, and any other
Primera is designed to be a “floating” floor. Proper preparation of the subfloor is a critical part of a successful
installation. Roughness or unevenness of the subfloor may telegraph through the Primera floor resulting in an unsightly
surface and can cause excessive wear on high spots.
Concrete on or above grade must be free of moisture or high alkalinity. A concrete slab shall be cured a minimum of 90
days before performing moisture tests prior to the installation of your new flooring. The concrete may require additional
drying time dependent upon local environmental conditions.
All wood subfloors shall have at least 18” of well-ventilated space below. The ground under crawl spaces must be
covered with 6-mil polyethylene sheeting to reduce moisture vapor transmission. Wood floors must be double
construction or equivalent, with a minimum thickness of 1”, such as APA underlayment Grade Plywood without voids,
and with a fully sanded face.
Millworks cannot be held responsible for failure of the subfloor.
- Concrete/Screeds: All cracks and joints should be filled. The subfloor should have a moisture reading of less than
80% RH (Reference: ASTM F 2170-02 Standard Test Method for Determining Relative Humidity in Concrete Floor
Slabs Using in situ Probes).
- Wood Floors: Wood floors must be solid, flat and smooth with little flexibility. All loose boards must be firmly
Radiant Heat: Subfloors should be operating for at least 3 weeks prior to installation to drive out moisture and calibrate
temperature settings. Maximum operating temperature should never exceed 85°F. Radiant heat components must be
a minimum of 1/2” away from Primera flooring.
1. Millworks Luxury Vinyl Flooring is compatible with many adhesive options, but suitability of adhesive is a responsibility that rests solely with the installer. If unsure of suitability, please check with your dealer/distributor for further information regarding compatibility, taking care to inform them of jobsite conditions.
2. First, determine the orientation of the flooring in the area. Typically for plank products, the flooring runs the length
of the room. There may be exceptions since it is all a matter of preference.
3. Prepare all rules, cutters, adhesives, trowels/spreaders & compass dividers before commencing work.
4. The planks can be cut easily with a utility knife, just score the top of the plank and snap the plank in two.
5. To avoid narrow plank widths or short plank lengths near the walls/doors, it is important to do some pre-planning.
Using the width of the room, calculate how many full boards will fit into the area and how much space remains that
will need to be covered by partial planks. Divide the remaining space by two to calculate the width of the partial
planks. Do the same along the length.
6. For best appearance, please find the center of the floor by marking vertical & horizontal lines across the floors at the
center of the walls. Measure the squareness of the marked lines, and then begin to work from the center outwards,
leaving a 0.12” expansion gap along the perimeter between the flooring & walls.
7. Be sure to follow recommended working times from the adhesive manufacturer, often for porous surfaces, along
with all equipment recommendations, such as trowel notch-size. Do not spread more adhesive than can be installed
within the recommended working time.
8. Restrict foot traffic for 24 hours and rolling loads for 72 hours to assure proper setting of adhesive and prevent
Do not install Millworks Luxury Vinyl Flooring over expansion joints.
Apply adhesive to a quarter or half of the room area at one time
- NOTE: adhesive MUST be applied with the recommended trowel notching and the adhesive MUST be DRY TO THE
- TOUCH before installing the tile. None of the adhesive should transfer to your fingers this will depend on room
- temperature, humidity and airflow
- Do NOT use fans on adhesive/ substrate to accelerate drying
- Standard room balancing and layout procedures have to be followed prior to installation of tile